Identity Theft Basics
Identity theft is “a crime of deception involving the unauthorized use of another individual’s confidential identifying information” that has affected nearly 60 million Americans.
4 Most Common ways ID Thieves get your personal information
- Steal your wallet or purse
- Steal your mail
- Rummage through your trash or public trash dumps
- Fraudulent e-mails
Precautions you should take to prevent your identity from being stolen
- Carefully monitor balances and statement of all accounts
- Look for unexplained charges or withdrawals
- Secure your passwords
- Tear or shred any identifying information before throwing it away.
- Update your virus protection on you PC and do not open strange files or emails from people or companies you don’t know